Monday 3 February 2014

                  Language in Social Media
   
      This is only a gossip and not a censor to any body or any thing.I just want to share my experience with friends as I have spent 40 years in the Profession of Law at the Apex Court level.
      60% of the Judges at High Court level are made from the Bar and rest from the service.Therefore,those who are Judges have undergone the training at Bar.When we finish
our cases in the Courts,we come to the Bar and spend some leisure time with colleagues freely without any restriction of language.The discussions range from cases to politics to Judges etc.At time indecent language is used by a few members but not by all.We heavily criticise the Judges who happen to be our colleague in the days of practice.Judges also know how they are criticised in the Bar because they have also been doing the same thing without exeception.But when we go to the Court to argue our cases,we strictly maintain the decorum and use only such language which are employed in the Courts.We never use slangs or use such language which offends either the Court or brother colleagues.The cases are conductedin most serene atmoshphere.Any slip of language attracts spontaneous reprimand from the Court.That is because of serious training at the Bar.
          In 1991-1993,I was Hony.Secretary of the Supreme Court Bar Association.We used to have reguler meetings with the Hon'ble Chief Jastice of India on monthly basis to sort out mutual problems of Bar and Bench.In one of the meetings,Hon'ble Chief Justice Sri Rangnath Mishraindicated tu us that the youngsters are coming to the Courts without proper training and use the language which is not befitting the decorum of the Courts.In our
Bar Association Rules,there was no restriction on experience in becoming the member of our Bar.We ammended the Rules and incorporated 5 yrs.of practice for enrollment ais es member of S.C.B.A.It had salutery effect.
       In 1994,I was arguing a case before a bench of Justice K.Ramaswamy and Justice N.Venkatchala.The Court found that there wasa  flaw in the appointment of my client and thus his appointment was being annulled.That infuriated me under the apprehension that my client was going to loose his job as a lecturer after serving the college for 14 long years.
I was little enraged,I got excited,sweat started running on my face,my voice became little louder and tougher.I was just cheked by the Court.Justice Venkatchala loudely told the senior Judge that Srivastava is completely enraged.Justice Ramaswamy told him clearly audible to everyone in the Court" Donnot worry brother,this is Srivatava's style."Every one burst into laughter.I also laughed and felt relieved of tensions which I was undergoing.Suffice to say that even a small deviation in mannerism was immediately cheked.
        I have narrated the above just to illustrate that in public one has use very temperate,diccent,sober and parliamentry language which does not offend.I have found that on Social Media such as Twitter and Facebook,very offencive language are used.In democracy everybody has the right to express himself but nobody has the right to use foul language which offends others.I have experienced in my own case that a few people used such foul language that it cannot be reproduced by me.Very calmly I responded " Brother
"Brother,you have expressed yourself but I have also the right to express myself"This had immediate sobering effect.
           My only endevour is not to rebuke anyone but just mention that let us not use such language which offends others.What ever be the excitement or provocation,we should restrain ourselves and use only that language which is appreciated by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment